Spotify, the titan of music streaming platforms, currently boasts over 551 million active monthly users worldwide. That’s a staggering number. And with so many users, there’s no shortage of playlists, each as unique as its curator.
But what if you could take your music curation to the next level?
What if you could blend your favorite tracks from various playlists, create the ultimate mix, or even merge playlists with friends to curate a collaborative masterpiece?
Even better–what if you could merge playlists across different streaming platforms so your friends on Apple Music can still merge your Spotify hits during a carpool?
In this ultimate guide, we’ll teach you how to combine playlists on Spotify.
Let’s dive in!
- The Simple Method – Merge Two Playlists Directly on Spotify
- Limitations of Merging Playlists Directly in Spotify
- The Better Method – Merge Two Playlists with TuneMyMusic
- Share and Merge Playlists Across Different Platforms
- Go Beyond Merging
The Simple Method – Merge Two Playlists Directly on Spotify
This first method will explore how to merge playlists directly within the Spotify platform. We’ll cover how to combine playlists on Spotify on both desktop and mobile apps.
Combine Playlists on Desktop App
You can merge Spotify playlists using the “Drag and Drop” feature available on the desktop version of Spotify. This convenient feature allows you to transfer songs from one playlist to another by selecting songs from one playlist and copying them to another.
Here are the step-by-step instructions on how to merge playlists on Spotify on the desktop:
- 1. Open the Spotify app on your desktop or access it through the web player.
- 2. Navigate to Your Library and click on the playlist from which you want to combine songs into another playlist.
- 3. To select all the songs within the playlist, simply press CTRL + A (CMD + A for MacOS). If you only want to choose specific songs from the playlist, hold down the CTRL key (or CMD for MacOS) while clicking on the songs you wish to include.
- 4. Ensure your selection is active and that your chosen songs are highlighted. You can then proceed to the next step.
- 5. Now, you have two options for transferring the selected songs to another playlist. You can drag the highlighted songs to the desired playlist in the left sidebar, or right-click on the highlighted songs and choose the “Add to playlist” option.
It’s important to note that you can add these songs only to a playlist you’ve already created. If necessary, you can create a new, empty playlist to merge songs from other playlists. Make sure to give your playlist a cool name for sharing later!
Combine Playlists on Mobile App
If you prefer managing your playlists on the go, you can merge two playlists directly within the Spotify mobile app (Android & iOS).
Follow these simple steps to blend your favorite tracks seamlessly:
- 1. Open Spotify on your mobile device and navigate to the playlist you want to merge into Your Library.
- 2. Once you’re in the playlist, look for the three dots at the top-right corner of the screen. This is your gateway to a world of playlist customization.
- 3. Tap on those three dots, and a menu of options will appear.
- 4. Among the options, look for “Add to other playlist.” This is the key to combining your playlists right on your mobile device.
- 5. When you select “Add to other playlist,” you’ll have a list of your existing playlists. Now, pick the playlist where you want to merge the current one.
- 6. Your chosen playlist will now include all the tracks from both playlists; you can do it several times with other playlists to have them in one place. The playlists you select to add to the other playlist will be merged at the end of the selected target playlist.
Note that you can not select and add individual songs to combine two playlists in the Spotify mobile app on iOS and Android. It’s only possible to add an entire playlist with another or add song by song or an entire album to a playlist.
Limitations of Merging Playlists Directly in Spotify
It’s essential to be aware of limitations when using Spotify’s built-in methods for merging playlists and know the tricks to a great Spotify experience.
However, manage your expectations and explore alternative Spotify playlist merger options for even better use.
Here are some drawbacks that may occur when you combine Spotify playlists:
- 1. No Custom Ordering
When merging playlists using the first method on Spotify, you can’t control the order in which the tracks are added to the new merged playlist. They will be appended in the order they exist in the source playlists and at the bottom of the target playlist you have added it to.
- 2. Limited to Two Playlists
This method allows you to merge only two playlists simultaneously. If you want to combine more than two playlists, you’ll need to repeat the process, which can be time-consuming.
- 3. Lack of Bulk Actions
If you have multiple playlists to merge or want to create a comprehensive library of merged playlists, it can be a tedious process since you must merge them one by one.
- 4. No Cross-Platform Support
This method is specific to the Spotify platform and doesn’t support merging playlists from other music streaming services. Users who want to combine playlists across different platforms must use third-party playlist merger tools.
- 5. Unsynchronized Playlists
This method might need to be revised for collaborative or personal playlists. You can not perform simultaneous real-time merging or automatically sync newly added songs in both playlists. You must update the playlist each time new tracks are added manually.
The Better Method – Merge Two Playlists with TuneMyMusic
If you’re looking for a more versatile and efficient way to merge playlists, TuneMyMusic is the answer. This powerful online tool simplifies the process and offers unique features like playlist synchronization between different music streaming services.
Here’s how to combine Spotify playlists using TuneMyMusic:
- Step 1 – Visit TuneMyMusic: To merge playlists, head to www.tunemymusic.com.
- Step 2 – Click “Let’s Start”: On the TuneMyMusic homepage, you’ll find a prominent blue “Let’s Start” button. Click on it to initiate the playlist merging process.
- Step 3 – Choose Spotify as the Source: Select Spotify as your source platform from which you want to copy the playlist.
- Step 4 – Provide the Spotify Playlist URL: Once you have logged in to Spotify, navigate to your playlist, copy, and enter the URL link of the Spotify playlist you wish to merge. Alternatively, you can load the playlist straight from the TuneMyMysic app by clicking on the “Load from Spotify account” option to select which playlist you want to merge with another.
- Step 5 – Select Your Target Platform: Once your playlist from Spotify has loaded, you’ll see the next step, “Choose Destination,” at the bottom-middle of your screen. Move forward and choose your target platform from the list of different music platforms.
- Step 6 – Choose Playlist to Merge: Here’s where the magic happens. You can choose your target playlist, which can be another Spotify playlist in a new account (if you chose that as your destination in the last step again) or a playlist on a different music streaming platform of your choice, ranging from Apple Music to SoundCloud and more!
- Step 7: Look up your existing playlist: Once you’ve selected your destination, the platform will take a few minutes to process and load your playlist, and there you’ll have your Summary. The final step is choosing your existing playlist within your destination platform. You’ll see a sign to edit your playlist on the right end of the bar.
Click on the pencil icon (shown in the image below.)
- Step 8: Conforming to merge to an existing playlist. Another window will open; here, you can create a ‘New Playlist’ in your selected destination or add to an existing one. From the drop-down menu, choose Existing Playlist.
- Step 9: Selecting target playlist to merge. In the following drop-down menu, you’ll see a list of your playlists in the selected platform for the destination. Select any playlist you wish to merge songs into. Once you’ve chosen your playlist, you’re ready to go!
Click ‘Save’ and TuneMyMusic will do the rest!
- Now press the button “Start transfer” on the transfer summary page to start merging the two playlists you have selected.
Once you’ve completed these steps, TuneMyMusic will seamlessly merge the playlists while maintaining your tracklist’s integrity.
The Best Part – Share and Merge Playlists Across Different Platforms
Imagine a world where you can effortlessly share your carefully curated playlists with friends, regardless of their preferred music streaming service. Like going from Apple Music to Spotify or importing a playlist from Spotify to Apple Music.
TuneMyMusic makes this a reality.
Here’s how you can merge playlists across different platforms and share your music with friends, no matter what music service they use:
- 1. Upload Your Music to TuneMyMusic: To start sharing your music across different platforms, upload your playlists to TuneMyMusic. Depending on your preference and convenience, you can do this by copying the playlist link or connecting your music (Spotify, Apple Music, SoundCloud, YouTube) account.
- 2. Generate Your Personalized Playlist Page: TuneMyMusic generates a personalized playlist page for you, where all your merged playlists are accessible in one place. This page bridges various music streaming platforms, ensuring that your friends can access your playlist no matter where they are.
- 3. Customize the Playlist Page: Make your shared playlist page unique by customizing the cover image and title of the playlist. This personal touch adds a layer of identity to your shared playlists, making them even more enticing for your friends.
Share with Friends: Once you’ve tailored your playlist page to your liking, it’s time to share it with your friends. You can easily send them the link to your playlist page, giving them access to your musical curation.
Once your friends receive the link to your personalized playlist page, they have two primary options: (you can also use this link to merge your playlists in different platforms.)
- 1. Open the Original Playlist: Directly open the original playlist shared by the link. If it’s using the same music streaming platform, your friends can enjoy the music without further steps.
- 2. Import the Playlist: This can be done on a different music streaming service by importing it to the music library and effectively bridging the gap between platforms. TuneMyMusic ensures that the playlist’s tracks are seamlessly added to any chosen music service.
Playlist Synchronization with TuneMyMusic
TuneMyMusic makes life easier for those who don’t want to constantly update their playlists after manually syncing them once. It helps you automate the process and simplify it!
Here’s how to make the most of this functionality:
Step 1 – Transfer a Playlist or Go to Previous Transfers: You’ll only find this option pop up right after you transfer your playlist or on the previous playlist transfers you have completed using TuneMyMusic, which you can find on My History page in your TuneMyMusic settings page.
You’ll see the option if you just finished your first transfer. If not, access your previous playlist transfers and select an existing one you’ve made.
Step 2 – Visit TuneMyMusic’s Sync Page: At the end of the transfer process, you will see an option to Sync the playlists you have just transferred. Select the Sync option right next to the completed transfer details.
Step 3 – Set Up Your Sync Preferences: You have two synchronization options to choose from:
- 1. Mirror Sync: With this method, the playlists you set up for sync from one music platform will automatically mirror the changes made to the playlists you have synced from the other music platform. New tracks added to one playlist will appear on the other, and any songs you delete from one playlist will also be automatically removed from the other.
- 2. Add Only Sync: If you opt for this method, any new songs you add to one of your synced playlists will automatically be added to the other. However, the two playlists won’t be synchronized when deleting songs, meaning you must manually remove songs from each playlist as needed.
Step 4 – Enjoy Synced Playlists: That’s all! Your two playlists are now seamlessly synchronized, ensuring you can effortlessly access your favorite tunes across different services.
Go Beyond Merging, Manage All Playlists with TuneMyMusic!
Creating the ultimate playlist, merging tracks seamlessly, sync playlists, and sharing music with friends should be a joyous experience. Spotify’s in-app merging and TuneMyMusic offer two paths to achieve your musical aspirations.
Whether you prefer the simplicity of Spotify’s in-app method or the versatility and features offered by TuneMyMusic, the power to craft and share your playlists is in your hands.
To level up your music game, TuneMyMusic isn’t just a tool for merging playlists – it’s a comprehensive solution for managing your entire music library across various platforms. With TuneMyMusic, you can take your music experience to new heights.
- • Playlist Management: Organize and curate your playlists effortlessly. Create, edit, and merge playlists easily, allowing you to curate the perfect soundtrack for any mood or occasion.
- • Playlist Synchronization: Seamlessly sync your playlists between different music streaming services. Enjoy your favorite tracks on the platforms you love without the hassle of manual updates.
- • Cross-Platform Sharing: Share your playlists with friends, regardless of their music service. Connect and bond over your favorite tunes, breaking down the barriers between platforms.
Data Backup: Export your playlists to other platforms, make a backup in-app playlist, or convert them to TXT or CSV files for safekeeping and data analysis. Your music library is always in your control.
Ready to supercharge your playlist management and make the most of your music collection?
You’re not just merging playlists; you’re taking control of your entire music world, breaking down barriers between platforms, and making music a shared experience!