The world has been enjoying Spotify for quite some time now. Are you already enjoying Spotify for all of your music needs? Or have you yet to plunge into this popular musical platform? If you have been wanting to check out Spotify, it is never too late to join in on the fun and even create your own playlists.
- Creating a Playlist on Spotify: First things first
- Creating a Spotify Playlist on a Mobile Device
- Creating a Spotify Playlist on a PC
- How to Create a Playlist Directly from a Track or song
- How to Create a Spotify Playlist Directly from an Album
- How to Remove a Song from Your Spotify Playlist
- How to Delete an Entire Playlist on Spotify
- How to Recover A Previously Deleted Playlist on Spotify
- How to Boost Your Spotify Playlist
- How to Backup Your Spotify Playlist
- How to Transfer a Playlist From Any Platform to Spotify
What Is A Spotify Playlist?
A Spotify playlist is a collection of songs all in one place that will continually play from one song to another, seamlessly. Spotify allows you to personalize your playlists by giving them a name, an image and a description. Once you save your playlist, you have the option to share it with others. You can easily add songs to your playlists, as well as adding an entire album all at once, rather than having to add each song one at a time. It is also easy to delete songs from your playlists, as well as deleting your entire playlist.
This article will walk you through the specifics of how to create a Spotify playlist, as well as give you tips on how to unlock some of its other potential uses.
Making a playlist on any music platform is always a helpful way to save time in the future so you do not have to keep searching for songs that you like. It is also extremely helpful in organizing your favorite songs by genre, by musical artist, or even by mood so you can have the perfect collection of tunes right at your fingertips in a matter of seconds.
Have you been wondering how to make a playlist on Spotify? Guess what? Creating a playlist on Spotify is easy!
Creating a Playlist on Spotify: First things first
Before being able to create a Spotify playlist you will need two thing:
First you will need to create a Spotify account.
Secondly Download the Spotify app to your Computer (AND/OR) get the app on your cell phone. You also have the option to access Spotify directly from the web by going to open.spotify.com.
Thankfully, Spotify allows you to create both a PAID subscription account or a FREE account, so you are bound to find one that you need. Either willing to pay for the premium or just have a free account to listen to your music with a few limitations.
A FREE account will be ad-supported, while a PAID subscription will not include ads and gives you a Premium Individual plan for $9.99/month, which includes 1 account.
The Premium subscription plan offers a 1-month FREE trial option, as well and you can cancel anytime.
You can create a playlist on Spotify with any type of account, either paid or free. However, the paid tier of Spotify offers a few extra features for taking more out of your playlists, such as the playlist Enhance feature, which automatically adds songs to your playlist based on your history and music preferences once you already have songs in your playlist.
Spotify allows you to create a playlist on either a computer or on your mobile device and then syncs your playlists across both devices. The steps involved in creating a playlist will differ depending on the device you are using and the type of subscription you opted for.
Don’t worry, we will walk you through the steps of each option here!
Creating a Spotify Playlist on a Mobile Device
This is how to create a playlist on Spotify, from your mobile device, using a FREE subscription:
- Step 1) Open the Spotify app. Select “Your Library”.
- Step 2) Tap on the plus sign in the right top corner
- Step 3) Two options will appear to choose between creating a normal playlist or a Blend, which you can know more about Spotify Blend feature here. Tap on “Playlist” to create a regular playlist.
- Step 4) A pop-up window will appear so you can enter the name of what you would like to label your playlist. After choosing a name, tap “Create”.
- Step 5) You will have an empty playlist with no songs. Now it’s time to add songs to it. Tap on “Add to this playlist” to search and add tracks.
- Step 6) From here, you will have the option to search for songs by artist, song title or musical genre. Add as many songs as you would like and organize them to your liking (EX: all songs from one artist, a collection of songs in the same genre, or songs that suit a particular mood.)
Spotify will even offer song suggestions based on the songs that you have previously selected. Pretty cool, right?
If you want to add an entire album to a playlist and don’t have time to add them one at a time, Spotify makes this quicker. All you have to do is go to the album page, tap on the three dots that appear in the middle of the screen, then select “Add to Playlist”. It’s that easy!
Creating a Spotify Playlist on a PC
This is how to create a playlist on Spotify, from your PC, using a FREE or PREMIUM subscription:
- Step 1) Open the Spotify app on your PC or go to open.spotify.com.
- Step 2) On the left of the left menu bar on the home screen, click on “+” that it’s next to where it says “Your Library”.
- Step 3) Click “Create a New Playlist”.
- Step 4) Click on the name of the playlist that automatically appears: EX: “My Playlist #6”. Enter the name of what you would like to label your playlist, add description and even a cover for your playlist.
- Step 5) Push “Save”.
You should now see your new playlist on the left sidebar of your Spotify homepage under “Playlists”!
How to Create a Playlist Directly from a Track or song
As said before, it’s also possible to create a playlist from a single song. The playlist will be named after the song and also have the album or single cover as the playlist cover.
- Step 1) Open the Spotify app on your PC, mobile app or go to open.spotify.com.
- Step 2) Search for a song you like.
- Step 3) Select that song by clicking on the song title.
- Step 4) Click on the three dots under the song title.
- Step 5) Select “Add to Playlist”.
- Step 6) Select “Create Playlist”.
- Step 7) The playlist will automatically save in the left sidebar beside your other playlists.
How to Create a Spotify Playlist Directly from an Album
Similar to creating a Spotify playlist from a single track, you can also create a playlist from an album. Be aware that the entire album, with all the tracks in the same order, will be added to the playlist and named after the album’s name. If you don’t add more songs to the playlist, it will be pretty much a copy of the album.
To create a playlist from an album on Spotify you need:
- Step 1) Open the Spotify app on your PC or go to open.spotify.com.
- Step 2) Search for an album you like.
- Step 3) Select that album by clicking on the album image.
- Step 4) Click on the three dots under the album image.
- Step 5) Select “Add to Playlist”.
- Step 6) Select “Create Playlist” to create a playlist from the album.
- Step 7) The playlist will automatically save in the left sidebar beside your other playlists. The playlist name will have the same name as the album and the playlist cover will be the album cover.
Although the playlist was created from that album and has the name and cover from the album, you can edit those details and add any song you want to the playlist. It works as any other playlist you created differently.
From now on, any time you come across an awesome song that you want to add to a playlist that you have already created, all you have to do is move your cursor over the song that you want to add. Then look for the three dots icon and click on that. Then select “Add to Playlist”. This will pull up a list of all playlists that you have created on your Spotify account. Simply select the playlist that you want to add that song to and voila, you added a song to your previously existing Spotify playlist!
How to Remove a Song from Your Spotify Playlist
Ugh oh! So you’ve added a song to your playlist that totally throws off the vibe you are going for. Don’t worry, though, because removing a song from an existing Spotify playlist is as simple as adding one. Just follow these simple steps below.
From a PC, FREE or PREMIUM Subscription:
- Step 1) Look to the right of the song that you want to remove. You should see three dots. Click on them.
- Step 2) Click “Remove from this Playlist”.
From a Mobile Device, FREE and PREMIUM Subscription:
- Step 1) Go to your playlist.
- Step 2) Tap on the three dot icon to the right of the song.
- Step 3) Select “Remove from this Playlist”.
How to Delete an Entire Playlist on Spotify
Have you listened to a playlist so much that you are burnt out on those songs? Or created multiple empty playlists by accident? No worries! Spotify allows you to delete an entire playlist in a few simple steps!
Delete an entire playlist on a PC:
- Step 1) Right click the playlist that you wish to delete.
- Step 2) Select “Delete”.
Delete an entire playlist on a Mobile Device:
- Step 1) Go to the playlist that you wish to delete. Tap on the three dot icon.
- Step 2) Select “Delete Playlist”.
When you delete a playlist from Spotify on one device, it automatically syncs and deletes that playlist from all other devices as well. You’ve got to love anything that saves you time, huh?
How to Recover A Previously Deleted Playlist on Spotify
Don’t panic! If you’ve deleted a Spotify playlist (within 90 days) by accident and wish to recover it, you can! This is what you need to do to recover it:
- Step 1) Log into your “Account” page on the Spotify website.
- Step 2) Click “Recover Playlists” from the left sidebar.
- Step 3) Click “Restore” next to whatever playlist(s) you wish to recover.
How to Share a Spotify Playlist with Other Users
Now that you have your Spotify playlist ready to rock, you can also share it with other Spotify users using the playlist link. Do it so you need to:
- Step 1) Click on the playlist you want to share
- Step 2) Click on the three dots right next to the play button to open a dropdown menu.
- Step 3) Seleck the “Share” option.
- Step 3) Choose where you to share your playlist, on social media or copy the link for the playlist.
On the desktop version you also have the option to copy an embedded version of the playlist so you can share your playlist on a website.
How to Share a Spotify Playlist with Users From Other Music Platform
It’s also possible to share Spotify playlists with users from other platforms, such as Apple Music, Amazon Music, YouTube, etc. To do it, you will need a third-party solution, such as Tune My Music.
- Step 1) Access Tune My Music website and click on
- Step 2) Click on Share Your Music to be directed to the Share feature page
- Step 3) Select Spotify as your source platform to share your playlist. You will need to grant access to TuneMyMusic to access your playlist list.
- Step 4) You can either paste the playlist link or lead your complete list of playlists to select the ones you want to share.
- Step 5) Then click on “Share” to create your dedicated page for the music you want to share.
Done! You can now share this page URL with your friends or audience so they can add it to their library or follow your playlist on Spotify. It’s possible to share one or more playlists at the same time, as well as your entire music library.
How to Boost Your Spotify Playlist
Want to make your Spotify experience more of a, well… experience? Check out these tips on how to boost your Spotify playlist through sharing them with other listeners or enhance it:
- Spotify Blend – Spotify Blend feature is a shared playlist between you and another Spotify user of your choosing that merges your two musical tastes. With this Spotify playlist maker, you can even add cover art to easily distinguish your blended playlist from others. For added fun, Spotify Blend even gives you taste match scores to see what your music preferences are compared to your friend’s and shareable data stories that are personalized for each of you.
- Spotify Collaborative Playlist – This feature allows you to create a playlist and invite other users to it. Each person that is in your group has the option to add songs to the playlist. Basically, you will each have a hand in creating a collaborative playlist (hence its name)! Have fun and enjoy listening to all the random songs that everyone in your group adds. It could end up being a cohesive playlist or be a hodgepodge of music. Either way, you will love trying out this Spotify playlist maker. The possibilities are endless!
- Spotify Wrapped – An annual celebration of how Spotify connects us with others. This Spotify playlist maker is also a great way to reflect on all the music we’ve listened to throughout the year. This feature gives you a review of all the songs, albums, artists and genres that you have listened to throughout that entire year. It is given to you at the end of each year in a presentation including fun facts about your taste in both music and podcasts.
- Spotify Playlist Enhance – this Spotify playlist maker is a great way to spruce up your existing playlists. By simply pressing the “enhance” button located near your playlist, you can sit back and watch as Spotify uses artificial intelligence (AI) to add songs to your playlist that match the songs you’ve already added! Sounds fun, right?
For further information on these awesome Spotify features, check out our article Tricks on How to Boost Spotify Experience!
How to Backup Your Spotify Playlist
If you have been using computers for longer than a week, you have most likely been taught that backing up your important data is crucial to ensure that nothing you love is ever lost.
This is no different when dealing with Spotify playlists that you put hard work to create and curate it. Here are some easy steps to help you backup your Spotify playlists so you never have to worry about them getting lost in the interwebs forever:
- Step 1) From your browser, go to www.tunemymusic.com/transfer/spotify-to-file.
- Step 2) Click “Let’s Start”.
- Step 3) Select “Spotify”.
- Step 4) Choose either “Load from Spotify Account” (OR) copy the playlist URL in the provided space.
- Step 5) Select which playlist(s) you want to backup. To do this, check the boxes beside which playlist(s) you want to backup. A blue check mark will appear for the selected playlists.
- Step 6) Click “Choose Destination”.
- Step 7) Select “Export to File”.
- Step 8) Select desired format (either TXT or CSV).
- Step 9) Click “Export”.
- Step 10) Click “Start Transfer”. When it says “Transfer Complete”, you have successfully backed up your Spotify playlist(s) to a file using TuneMyMusic!
How to Transfer a Playlist From Any Platform to Spotify
If you have ever been frustrated by trying to figure out how to transfer your playlists from one music platform to another, rejoice for those days are over!
Thanks to Tune My Music, you can now transfer your music from one music platform to Spotify with ease. Just follow these simple steps:
- Step 1) From your web browser, log into www.tunemymusic.com.
- Step 2) Click on the blue “Let’s Start” button.
- Step 3) Select which music platform you want to transfer music FROM. EX: “YouTube”.
- Step 4) Choose either “Load From YouTube Account” (OR) enter the playlist URL in the space provided.
- Step 5) Select the email account that your YouTube account is linked to. (IF you selected “load from YouTube account”).
- Step 6) Click “Allow”.
- Step 7) Select which options you wish to transfer by checking the boxes beside those options.
- Step 8) Select “choose destination”.
- Step 9) Select “Spotify”.
- Step 10) Click “Start Transfer”.
Congratulations! You have now transferred your playlist from one music streaming platform to another!
Regardless of which platform you use to make your playlist, transferring it to another music streaming platform has never been easier, thanks to the convenience offered by Tune My Music.
Making a playlist on Spotify is extremely simple and the added features that Spotify offers make it even easier to share your favorite music with everyone! So keep making those playlists and don’t forget to back them up so you can keep enjoying them forever!
If you liked this tips and want to check more on how to make the most out of your Spotify app, check out our How-To page with great articles where you can learn a lot about Spotify and many other music streaming services.